Monday, August 24, 2009

*Lisa Kleypas ~ Blue-Eyed Devil*

MEET THE BLUE-EYED DEVIL

His name is Hardy Cates. He's a self-made millionaire who comes from the wrong side of the tracks. He's made enemies in the rough-and-tumble ride to the top of Houston's oil industry. He's got hot blood in his veins. And vengeance on his mind.

MEET THE HEIRESS

She's Haven Travis. Despite her family's money, she refuses to set out on the path they've chosen for her. But when Haven marries a man her family disapproves of, her life is set on a new and dangerous course. Two years later, Haven comes home, determined to guard her heart. And Hardy Cates, a family enemy, is the last person she needs darkening her door or setting her soul on fire.

WATCH THE SPARKS FLY....

Filled with Lisa Kleypas's trademark sensuality, filled with characters you love to hate and men you love to love, Blue-Eyed Devil will hold you captive in its storytelling power as the destiny of two people unfolds with every magical word.

- Taken from the Barnes & Noble Website: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Blue-Eyed-Devil/Lisa-Kleypas/e/9780312351656/?itm=2

~~~

~*~My Review~*~

I have adored every Lisa Kleypas novel I have read thus far, and Blue-Eyed Devil was no exception. After reading Sugar Daddy and thoroughly falling in love with the characters, I was practically jumping out of my seat at the chance to read Blue-Eyed Devil and continue the story with my second favorite guy from Sugar Daddy"Hardy Cates".

This was a very emotional book, which I had expected, however there was one extremely emotional aspect of this story I had not foreseen, and though I personally have never experienced anything of the same sort, it really touched me, making the story all the more personal. If you enjoyed Sugar Daddy I can just about guarantee you will enjoy the sequel. It has all of the amazing qualities Klaypas' other novels hold (her wonderful writing, her charismatic characters, and her ability to give each character their own life that not only enhances the overall story but really just causes the reader to fall in love with each of them, thus setting up the background for a follow-up story). It was an emotional, amusing, romantic, and delightful read that I was immediately drawn into from the first chapter. I will admit I preferred Sugar Daddy, however I believe that is more due to the fact that Liberty and Gage have found a permanent place in my heart than to this sequel being any less satisfying, because it truly is an equally remarkable book.

~~~

~*~Excerpts~*~

"Listen, honey," he whispered. "There've only been a couple times in my life when something felt so good I didn't give a damn about the consequences." His lips slid over my forehead, my nose, my trembling eyelids. "Go tell Nick you're not feeling well, and come away with me. Right now. There's a strawberry moon out tonight. We'll go somewhere and find a patch of soft grass, and share a bottle of champagne. And I'll drive you to Galveston to watch the sun rise over the bay."

*~*

"Maybe we should go in stages," Liberty said. "It may be a shock if I take too much off at once."

"No, you can't donate it if it's less than ten inches long. Just go for it." We were going to give the foot-long rope of hair to the Locks of Love program, which made wigs for children who suffered from medical hair loss.

Liberty combed my hair deftly. "It's going to release some curls once I shorten it," she said. "All this weight is dragging your hair down."

She plaited it and sawed the entire length off at the nape. I held the braid while liberty brought a Ziploc bag, and I dropped it inside the plastic pouch and sealed it with a kiss. "Good luck to whoever wears it next," I said.

*~*

"Haven, you know I'm right. Let's talk about this."

"If you don't want to have sex, I don't want to talk about our feelings."

He scrubbed his hand through his hair, looking confused. "Well, that's for damn sure the first time a woman's ever said that to me."

1 comment:

Leigh Ann Baird said...

I loved this book, but Sugar Daddy is my favorite of the two.