Tuesday, August 19, 2008

*Lora Leigh ~ Tha Man Within (Feline Breeds Series Book 2)*



He had protected her as a child, filled all her teenaged fantasies and stole her womanly heart, only to break it.



Now, fifteen months later, the news has released. The man she loves is one of the genetically altered Feline Breeds who have shocked the world with their presence. He’s also her mate. The mark on her neck attests to that. The fire that rages in her heart and in her body further proves it. But he hadn’t wanted her then; does he really want her now?



Deceit and treachery, born in the past, now haunt the present as Taber and Roni fight to make sense of a sudden bonding. The mating of heart, body and soul as the man and the beast within merge; both battling the forces raging against the union and dominance over the woman he claimed.

~ Taken from Lora Leigh's Site:
~~~
*My Review*
Alright confession time: I was so intrigued by the storyline of this second book in the Breeds series that I did in fact read this one before Tempting the Beast (book 1). I know, I know, a horrible deed to read such a series out of order but I am being 100% honest when I say I didn't have a choice!! It drew me like few precious stories do...
The Man Within is one of the greatest stories I have ever had the pleasure of reading. And although I have only read the first two books in the series so far, I truly believe it will remain my favorite of Lora Leigh's books. The storyline is not only original but utterly wonderful! And don't even get me started on the relationship between Roni and Taber. It's amazing how you can see the many depths behind their bond. An unfailingly loyal friendship from their child years, a deep-rooted understanding of one another that is beyond comparison, a great dependence on and protectiveness for each other, blatant sensual desires, and a love that goes far deeper than their mate-bonding.
Roni and Taber's relationship is different and difficult and yet in the end, utterly right. I loved everything about their relationship. I especially adored the little insights into their background together.
And, as is the case with the first book in Leigh's Breeds series, The Man Within was written brilliantly, capturing the reader from the very first sentence and refusing to withdraw its hold until the end of the very last sentence. The chemistry between our hero and heroin will draw in even the most reluctant of readers and keep them craving for more. As I mentioned in my review of Tempting the Beast the other day, one of the greatest aspects of Leigh's books is the sense of family she gives the reader. She introduces her readers to the many background characters while not over-shadowing her lead characters, yet still managing to give them enough attention to have the readers dying for their individual stories more and more with each passing story.
This book has made it into my favorites list and (neeedless to say) Taber has absolutely made my 'Fictional Loves' list!! Now, although I did not take my adivce, I urge you to do so: read these books in order. I do not regret reading The Man Within first because it has wound up being my favorite, however I believe most people would understand and enjoy the series more so in the correct order.
Please do not pass these books by...they are worth checking out. I loved this book and I'm sure you will to.
~~~
*Excerpt*
"'Roni, dammit, what kind of trouble did you manage to get yourself into this time?'
Roni Andrews tried to suppress her grin as she heard Taber's voice echoing through the corridor of the cells housed in the county jail. She sat on the uncomfortable bunk, trying for nonchalance. No way in hell would she give him the chance to see just how much he could intimidate her. And boy could he intimidate.
Well over six feet tall, his body corded with powerful muscles, his expression often savage, remote, he could set her eart pounding in both fear and arousal. The fear she could handle. It was the arousal she often had problems with. ... There were nights she burned for him, and it terrified her. ...
Within seconds he was standing at the cell door, his hands braced on his lean hips, a frown etched on his proud, sun-darkened face. Damn, he made her want to start rubbig against him, like a cat. He was tall and muscular, his shoulders broad, his chest powerful and tapering to a flat, corded abdomen that tempted her to touch. Long powerful legs were encased in snug denim and there was no in hell she was going to let her gaze drift to...oh hell. That bulge between his thighs just looked too good to be true. Hastily she jerked her gaze back to his face.
His eyes were narrowed on her now, the jade-green color brilliant and snapping with fury. She swallowed tightly. He was non too pleased with her this morning.
'I didn't do a damned thing,' she snapped back, allowing all the awakening senses he managed to flip into overdrive to fuel her own anger. 'I was just standing there, Taber. Honest. That sherriff has lost his mind.'
She fought to hide her amusement. Of course, he knew she was lying. He always knew when she was lying.
'I should let you rot here.' She loved that growling thing he did when he was pissed. His voice would lower and just vibrate...like a cat. She had a fondness for cats. ..."

No comments: